Biryani prepared in a traditional Hyderabadi Dum Biryani style is a dream come true for a foodie. Traditionally, it is prepared in 3 basic steps in which first step involves cooking basmati rice with aromatic whole spices, second step involves cooking vegetables with various Indian masala or spice powders, whole spices and curd, and the last step involves cooking layered cooked rice, cooked vegetables and fried onion in a container using dum method. In dum cooking method (pressure cooked effect), food is slow-cooked in a sealed container (a pot having tight fitting lid or edges of pot sealed with wet wheat flour dough), which allows food to slow-cook in its own steam and juices making it highly flavorful and aromatic. In the first glance, you may feel that this vegetable biriyani recipe requires so many ingredients but don’t let it fool you, it will take only 35 minutes to cook and flavor, aroma and texture of final dish will blow your mind and taste buds away making it worthwhile to try this recipe.
Link for other Biryani Dishes:
Scroll below for Veg Biryani Recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
Ingredients Veg Biryani:
- 3/4 cups basmati rice (long grained rice)
- 2 green cardamons
- 1 black cardamons
- 2 cloves
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- 1 small bay leaf
- Lastly, salt to taste.
- 1 small potato chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/4 cup chopped Carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped French Beans
- 1/4 cup Green Peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- 1-2 Green Chillies, seeded and cut lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin-Coriander Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 cup Curd (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Fried Onion
- 1 tablespoons Ghee
- 8-10 Saffron Strands, soaked in 1 tablespoon Warm Milk
- 8-10 Mint Leaves, chopped (fresh or dry), optional
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves
Tips to prepare biryani in lowest possible time.
- First soak the rice in water.
- Then prepare the gravy.
- When gravy is half cooked, start to cook the rice.
- Assemble rice and gravy and cook again.
Step by step instruction for Veg Biryani:
Step 1: Cut all the vegetables as shown in the photo. Do not cut them into very small pieces. Soak 8-10 saffron strands in 1- tablespoon warm milk. Prepare fried onions by following this recipe.
Step 2: Heat 3-tablespoons oil in a pan over medium flame. Add 1 sliced onion, 1-2 green chilies, 1-teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, 4-5 black peppercorns, 1-green cardamom and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds. Stir-fry them until onion starts to turn light brown.
Step 3: Add 1 chopped potato, 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower and 1/4 cup chopped carrot. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
Step 4: Add 1/4 cup chopped french beans, 1/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas and salt. Mix well and cook covered until vegetables are almost cooked. It will take around 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally in between to prevent sticking.
Step 5: Add 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder and 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder. Stir and cook for a minute.
Directions for assembling:
Tips and Variations:
- Do not cut the vegetables into very small pieces, cut them lengthwise into big chunks.
- Do not skip adding fried onion because it gives nice flavor to biryani.
- To keep the rice grains separated, do not cook it until rice grains are fully cooked in step-2 of rice cooking directions because it will be cooked again in later steps.
- If you do not like whole spices in biryani while eating then follow the tips mentioned below.
- Remove whole spices from rice after cooking (in step-3 in rice cooking) and discard them (it’s easy to remove them at this stage).
- Use 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder in step-6 instead of whole cardamom and whole black peppercorns in step-2 while making gravy.
- If you do not have a vessel or deep pan with tight fitting lid, you can use wheat flour dough to seal the edges and prevent steam from escaping to get dum effect.
- Add dry fruits like fried cashew nuts for variation.
Serve hyderabadi style veg biryani with curd raita and papad in lunch or dinner. It can also be packed in a lunchbox with curd.
Check out other recipes here.